Aged Asiago Steak Burger
These Aged Asiago Steak Burgers will change your take on spread cheese. The nutty asiago gently flows off a grilled burger made from ground savory steak cuts with buttery fat. Then layer on crispy red onions, creamy asiago, and crisp smoked bacon. Serve it on a pretzel roll and savor every single bite of deliciousness.
You can find ground steak burgers at many local meat markets and online. They are ground from a combination of steak cuts such as short rib, ribeye, and sirloin for example. You can grind your own at home too, if that’s your thing!
Buns are an inventive way to hold layers of ingredients in place to capture that perfect bite. This pretzel bun is the ideal vessel for steak burgers.
I built this burger for Pine Valley cheese to highlight their Aged Asiago. It’s one of our all-time favorite burgers. This one started with a whopping half-pound steak burger! That’s a heavy piece of meat. The meat patty is topped with slippery onions, the melty cheese spread, and another layer of bacon. Because of this, you need a bun that’s hearty enough to hold it all in yet soft enough to bite through the layers. This pretzel bun does this all beautifully.
Aged Asiago Steak Burgers
- ⅔ pound ground steak burger 80/20
- salt freshly ground smoked hickory to taste
- pepper freshly ground to taste
Toppings & Bun
- 4 tbsp aged asiago Spread cheese (I use award-winning Pine River)
- red onion sliced
- 4 slices bacon smoked - no water added
- 2 Pretzel Buns
- Preheat oven to 400°. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Arrange strips of bacon on a baking sheet4 slices bacon
- Divide the ground steak evenly in two. Gently form the meat with your thumbs into a round, thick patty ¾" thick. Salt and pepper both sides of the meat patty to taste. Place a small indent on the top of the patty for even cooking.
- Cook bacon for up to 20 minutes until crispy but not burnt.
- Meanwhile, grill the burger patties on each side for 3-4 minutes until the desired doneness. Top with the cheese for the final two minutes. Grill buttered buns if desired.4 tbsp aged asiago
- Let rest 3-4 minutes to allow juices to distribute.
- Layer the burger with cheese, red onion, and bacon onto the bottom of the bun. Cover with the top and serve warm.red onion, 2 Pretzel Buns
De Froid Tip: Decorative Cutting Boards
Decorative cutting boards have found their place in many popular home brands and online retailers like Etsy. They are a fun piece to serve your guests appetizers and hot sandwiches. Toss a little kraft paper on the side and make it feel like you’re at a fun casual restaurant!
Set them out and let your guests pick their favorite! I’d hang mine as a wall display if I had the wall space. It’s such a cool look, and guests can pull their boards off the display!
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.