Argentinian Steak Sandwich
This artisan Argentinian Steak Sandwich beautifully highlights the Teres Major cut of beef and its tender texture. Top that with char-grilled peppers and chimichurri sauce, and you have a gourmet sandwich in just over 30 minutes. It is mouth-watering, delicious, and memorable.
Now let’s talk chimichurri sauce. If you’ve never had it, it’s outstanding. I would classify it as a very deep-flavored and hearty vinaigrette. When you read the ingredients, you may think twice. Make the sauce, and don’t look back. This colorful uncooked, super fresh, and vibrant sauce can be used as a marinade, dipping sauce, or condiment to drizzle over meat and vegetables.
What is a Teres Major cut of beef, and why do I want to use one?
Teres major is a cut of beef from the cow’s chuck section, right below its front leg. It is about the size of a pork tenderloin and is the second most tender cut from a cow! Yet this cut has a richer and more complex flavor than tenderloin.
Now here’s the best news of all. According to BBQ grill guides, the Teres Major typically retails for half the cost of filet cuts! And…you can find these on sale from time to time if you shop at UW-Provisions or a high-quality meat market. Next time you’re headed out for a beautiful cut of meat, look for a Teres Major.
Argentinian Steak Sandwich
- 4 ounces red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- ⅛ cup parsley fresh, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces olive oil extra virgin
- 1 Red bell pepper small, roasted, seeded and sliced
- ½ poblano pepper roasted, seeded and sliced
- 1 lb beef Terres Major
- Kosher Salt to taste
- black pepper freshly cracked to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee clarified buttter or olive oil
- 2 baguettes eight inch, Artisan
- 2 tbsp butter soft or spreadable
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Stir together the vinegar, salt, garlic, and shallots. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, parsley, oregano, and hot pepper flakes. Finally, whisk in the olive oil. Let stand for up to 1 hour or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.4 ounces red wine vinegar, 1 tsp kosher salt, 4 cloves garlic, 1 shallot, ⅛ cup parsley, ¼ cup cilantro, ½ tsp red pepper flakes, 4 ounces olive oil
- Season steaks with salt and pepper. Heat a heavy skillet (or grill) and cook over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads 135°F for medium-rare meat. The steaks will continue to cook as they rest. Let stand for 15 minutes. Slice the steaks into thin pieces cutting across the grain of the meat.1 lb beef Terres Major, Kosher Salt, black pepper, 2 tbsp ghee
- Slice the baguettes in half lengthwise. Butter the bottom halves and place the pepper strips over the butter. Top each half with equal amounts of the sliced beef. Next, drizzle the chimichurri sauce over the steak to your liking. Place three cheese slices on top and cover with the lid of the baguette. Slice each sandwich in half and serve one half per person.1 Red bell pepper, ½ poblano pepper, 2 baguettes, 2 tbsp butter, 6 slices provolone cheese
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.