Bacon Overnight Breakfast Casserole
This hearty bacon overnight breakfast casserole is as easy to make as the standard, yet it has a deep-flavor profile with a matching texture. It begins with a layer of large artisan bread cubes. Then add in creamy eggs, sharp cheddar, and thick-cut smoky bacon, and you have a ready-to-go morning dish that wows!
Feel free to add the types of meat you love. You can add breakfast sausage, ham, or sliced smoked sausage. Adding veggies is another great option. I like onion and roasted red pepper. If you are adding onion, be sure to cook it first to release its juices.
That is something essential to think about every time you make a casserole into your own. Will the ingredients release juice or grease? If so, ensure you manage that on the front end, so you don’t end up with a soggy casserole.
Bacon Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- 12 ounces Hickory smoked bacon steak No water added, sliced into 1-inch pieces.
- 6 ounces breakfast sausage bulk - optional ingredient
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 3 sliced Artisan Bread Sliced 1 inch thick and cubed into 1-inch pieces.
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded fresh
- 4 eggs large
- 1¼ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Lay the bacon strips without overlapping onto a large sheet pan with at least ½ inch sides. When finished cooking, drain the grease and pat it with paper towels. Cut with scissors into 1 inch sections.12 ounces Hickory smoked bacon steak
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, turning the pan 1/2 way through until the bacon starts to crisp throughout. You are aiming for 85- 90% doneness.
- If using the breakfast sausage, fry it in a large pan, breaking the sausage into medium-sized pieces as it cooks. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.6 ounces breakfast sausage
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, add the eggs, milk, and spices. Whisk until all ingredients are incorporated.4 eggs, 1¼ cup whole milk, ½ tsp smoked paprika, ¼ tsp cayenne, ¼ tsp dry mustard, ¼ tsp white pepper
- Prepare a 9 X 9 casserole dish by greasing it with butter.1 tbsp butter
- Place the bread slices in the pan forming a single loose layer. You may need more or less depending on the size of the bread.3 sliced Artisan Bread
- On top of the bread layer, place the sausage pieces (if using) and 1/2 of the cheddar cheese. Then add ½ of the bacon and a ½ cup of additional bread cubes. Top with the remaining cheese and bacon.8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Slowly pour the egg mixture on top to coat all sections. The egg and milk will absorb into the bread cubes, so you want to ensure they all get a portion of the liquid.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the egg is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
De Froid Tip: Glasses
A simple way to bring excitement and fun to your breakfast table is to change your juice glass. Imagine sitting down to a champagne flute filled with juice and topped off with sparkling water. What would it feel like to have a comforting breakfast casserole with your juice served in a mason jar?
Think about the emotion and experience you want your family and guests to have. The most uncomplicated swap in tableware can bring a new feel to a meal. These thoughtful changes can make sweet memorable moments that last a lifetime for the humans in your life.
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.