Cajun Root Beer Ham
This Cajun root beer ham will transport you to the bayou without leaving your dinner table. Its spicy rub delivers flavor, while the root beer adds an earthy note with herbs and roots. This is one delicious ham!
Ham and twice-baked potatoes are a match made in potato heaven. When you purposefully pair Horseradish twice-baked potatoes with Cajun Root Beer Ham, you’ll have textures and flavors that beautifully complement each other for a special, memorable meal.
Cajun spice can be found in local supermarkets. Be sure to check the label, as some less expensive brands have salt as the first ingredient. When I purchase spice mixes, I only buy them if they don’t contain salt. This is because I want to manage the flavor profile.
Can you imagine putting a salt-based rub on a salty cured ham? The salt would overwhelm the meal, and you would lose the depth of the flavors you’re working to create.
Since I purchased a chamber sealer, I have been buying my spice in bulk. Then I vacuum seal what doesn’t fit in the jar, which keeps them fresh for months. Because of this, I’ve been mixing spices instead of buying them separately. This has boosted the flavor profiles in my recipes. The spices are fresher since I’m using them in various mixes and recipes.
Cajun Root Beer Ham
- 1 5-6 pound smoked ham - high quality
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning no salt
- Black pepper freshly ground - to taste
- 2 bottles root beer Sprechers or good quality
- ½ cup brown sugar dark
- 2 tbsp root beer
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning no salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Score the ham, and if desired, add whole cloves to scored sections. Rub the Cajun seasoning and pepper over the entire ham.1 5-6 pound, Black pepper, 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Place the ham, fat side down, in the roasting pan. Pour the root beer into the pan, so it is halfway up the side of the roaster.2 bottles root beer
- Carefully transfer the ham to the oven. Cook for 1 hour.
- Turn the ham over, and cover with additional seasoning. Cook for one additional hour
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat on medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.Black pepper, ½ cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp root beer, 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Remove the ham from the oven. Spoon the glaze onto the ham, spreading with a pastry brush to cover the entire ham.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Rest for 10 minutes. Slice, and serve warm.
De Froid Tip: Tablescape Colors and Textures
Choose a bright palette filled with color and texture to add excitement to a table. In this example, you’ll find blue, pink, green, yellow, and purple, all in tones that complement each other. Notice how the pop of white gives the table a sense of stability and pureness.
The colorful egg creature with a fuzzy puff of hair and a bright pointy nose is an ideal choice for adding texture and depth to the table. I found this little guy in four colors at Hobby Lobby, and they all made it to this table.
The hand-wrapped personalized gift breeds more texture and shapes, as does the personalized hard-boiled egg. All while adding a fun surprise element for each human. : )
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.