Chili Rubbed Strip Loin Tostadas
These chili-rubbed strip loin tostadas are delicious and healthy and make a remarkable presentation. Serve them on regular-sized corn tortillas for a main dish or smaller-sized tortillas for appetizers.
The flavor profile on these is mouth-watering and delicious. The chili on the rub adds heat, while the slaw adds a tang from the vinegar. Using black beans adds a welcomed depth of flavor and texture, while the salsa brings a bright freshness. Cojita cheese presents a salty note and the lime crema has creamy brightness. The crispy corn tortillas add that last textural crunch.
Tostadas are so much fun to make because you can add your favorite ingredients. You can also reduce preparation time by substituting sour cream for the lime crema and raw sliced veggies instead of the marinated slaw. Or marinate the meat and slaw the day before, giving you free time in the kitchen to hang out with your humans. ; )
Chili Rubbed Strip Loin Tostadas
- 2 10 - 12 ounce strip steaks
- 2 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 can refried black beans
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp oregano dried
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 5 ounces shredded cabbage ½ bag
- 3 radishes thinly sliced julienne
- ½ cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado peeled with pit remove
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp xantham gum optional for consistency
- 6 tostadas
- 6 tbsp spicy salsa verde
- 6 tbsp cotija cheese crumbled
- 3 tbsp cilantro rough chopped
- Mix first 4 ingredients in pie dish. Coat steaks with spice mixture and transfer to another dish. Cover; chill at least 4 hours.2 10 - 12 ounce strip steaks, 2 tbsp Red Chili Powder, 2 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp coarse salt, 2 tsp sugar
- Combine the slaw ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.1 tbsp red wine vinegar, ½ tsp oregano, ¼ tsp kosher salt, 5 ounces shredded cabbage, 3 radishes, ½ cup red onion
- In a medium saucepan, combine refried beans with spices. Warm over medium heat.1 can refried black beans, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp chipotle powder, ¼ tsp ground black pepper, ¾ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- Combine cream ingredients in a food processor and run until creamy. Transfer the cream to a small serving bowl or a pastry bag with a decorative tip.1 avocado, ¼ cup sour cream, 1 tbsp lime juice, ½ tsp xantham gum
- When ready to prepare meal, preheat grill to medium-high heat
- Clean and oil grill racks. Place seasoned steak on the hot grill. Grill the steaks to your desired doneness, moving occasionally to prevent the chili rub from burning. 5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Remove from grill and allow the steaks to rest for 5 minutes. After resting, slice very thin. No more than 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Lay the tostadas flat on a serving plate.6 tostadas
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of the black bean puree on one tostada. Repeat with the additional tostadas.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of salsa over the beans.6 tbsp spicy salsa verde
- Fan sliced of the grilled steak across the tostadas
- Sprinkle the slaw and crumbled cotija over the steak.6 tbsp cotija cheese
- Garnish with cilantro and avocado lime cream.3 tbsp cilantro
De Froid Tip: Food Arrangement
Change the whole feel of your party by serving these gourmet deviled eggs on individual plates. By adding a contrasting garnish, your visual presentation will pop! In the photo below, I used sprigs of thyme from my container garden.
Set your plates in a row across a long countertop. As a result, you will visually increase the WOW factor. Then watch your guests line up for the tasting experience. Unquestionably you will create a memorable WOW moment for your guests!
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.