This classic creamy coleslaw recipe is quick to make and features the perfect texture and balance of flavors, rivaling your favorite supper club or deli.
Tips for a Creamy Crispy Coleslaw
- Salt the cabbage and veggies purges excess moisture that would otherwise turn the slaw into a soupy mess.
- Limit the purge to five minutes to keep the cabbage crunchy.
- Dry the rinsed cabbage on towels rather than squeezing out the excess moisture preserves its texture and flavor.
- 1 16 ounce coleslaw mix prepackaged
- 2 tablespoons onion minced
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine cabbage slaw mix in a large bowl, leaving plenty of room to toss (you may have to use 2 large bowls if your bowls are not large enough). Sprinkle with sugar and salt and toss to combine. Let rest 5 minutes, then transfer to a large colander and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.⅓ cup white sugar
- Transfer rinsed mixture to a salad spinner and spin dry. Alternatively, transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet lined with a triple layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and blot mixture dry with more paper towels. Return to large bowl and set aside.
- Stir together the sauce ingredients in a large measuring cup until smooth.½ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup milk, ¼ cup buttermilk, 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice, 1 ½ tablespoons white wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine coleslaw mix and onion in a large bowl. Pour the mayonnaise sauce mixture over the top and stir until well combined. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.1 16 ounce coleslaw mix, 2 tablespoons onion
De Froid Tip: Purposeful Texture and Layering
Add wood textures and layers to your barbecued meals to create a natural vibe. These mouth-watering cocktail bbq-riblets tempt with their charred crust and the slathered bbq sauce.
Notice how setting the ribs on a stark white glossy plate elevates the dish. Do you see how that contrast in color and texture lets those ribs shine? Now layer that on top of a natural slab serving board and a rustic wooden table top, and you’ve dramatized and elevated the presentation to new levels!
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.