These homemade English Muffins rise to the occasion and are filled with dreamy nooks and crannies that hold butter and jam like a pro.
After years of trial and error, I’ve landed on this recipe as my go-to for these muffins. Compared to those bought at the store, they taste authentically delicious. Because they’re made with natural ingredients, they are chemical and additive free.
Refrigerate the dough overnight for an ideal texture. Distribute the dough between the muffin rings. Then Flour the tops and bottoms with semolina to prevent sticking. Finally, bake them on a steel or heavy pan on the cooktop. It’s best to wait thirsty minutes before slicing freshly baked bread. With these, we last ten. : )
English muffins are delicious with butter and a spread of jam. Yet they are the backdrop for outstanding breakfast sandwiches as well. They are the perfect foundation for Eggs Benedict and Eggs Royale.
Make an easy breakfast sandwich on the weekends. Spread a layer of mayonnaise on the toasted muffin. Then top it with your breakfast meat of choice, a scrambled egg, and a slice of cheese. They’re delicious.
- 445 Grams All Purpose Flour
- 236 Grams water
- 15 grams sugar
- 57 grams whole milk
- 2 grams instant yeast
- 27.5 grams unsalted butter
- 15 grams salt
- semolina flour for coating
- Combine all of the ingredients except the semolina in your mixing bowl of your stand mixer.445 Grams All Purpose Flour, 236 Grams water, 15 grams sugar, 57 grams whole milk, 2 grams instant yeast, 27.5 grams unsalted butter, 15 grams salt
- Mix on until a smooth ball of dough is formed, 4-6 minutes. You can also knead by hand.
- Turn out the dough and transfer it to a container that has been greased with olive oil. Turn the dough over so both sides are in contact with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours. and up to 3 days.
- Remove from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for one hour. Generously grease muffin rings with additional butter.
- Dust a baking pan with semolina flour. Place the rings on the pan. I use two ¼ sheet baking pans.semolina flour
- Remove dough and divide into 8 balls. You should get 8 at 85 grams each and one additional ball. Let rest five minutes.
- Spread the dough ball out on the counter with your palm to fit neatly inside the ring. Place the dough balls in each ring and press to ensure the semolina is set on the dough.
- Cover each pan with another sheet pan and allow to rise. The timing will depend on the temperature of your kitchen, from 1 hour to 3 hours. They will be puffy, and the dough will be completely encased in the ring and slightly puffing over the top. Note: Place the pans in a proofer to quicken this process.
- Place your Baking Steel or carbon steel pans on top of your burner(s). Heat to medium heat until the steel reaches 325 F. Spray or lightly oil the steel with canola oil if not neatly seasoned.
- Place four rings at a time on your hot Baking Steel and cook for 4-5 minutes. Lift the ring and muffin with a thin metal spatula to check on the color. They should look like the photo.
- Turn and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Move them around if you have a hot spot on your steel. Test with your thermometer near the center of the muffin. They are done when they reach 195 °F.
- Remove and place on a cooling rack. Split using a fork to maintain the natural nooks and crannies.
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.