Homemade Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
This Homemade Chipotle Barbecue Sauce has a mix of many ingredients. Because of this, it makes a deeply flavorful sauce that will envy your barbecue friends. A bonus is that it only takes minutes to prepare! This sauce is an ideal match with Chipotle Barbecue Rib Sandwiches. The two were born to be together!
Don’t let the number of ingredients intimidate you. Grabbing the items from your refrigerator and cabinets takes as long as it takes to make the sauce!
Please remember that sauces are forgiving in terms of spices and flavor. Don’t give up if you don’t have a particular spice on hand. Try something similar in its place! Do swap liquids for liquids and dry ingredients for other dry options. This will keep the consistency spot on for mopping, brushing, or dipping!
Homemade Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion small dice
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- ⅓ cup chipotle in adobo
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano Mexican dried
- 1 14.5 ounce crushed fire-roasted tomatoes canned (or chopped)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup molasses
- ⅛ cup dijon
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup water
- kosher salt to taste
- Preheat a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to the saucepan. Once the pan is hot, add the diced onions. Sweat the onions over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the onions are translucent and soft. Add the garlic to the pan and stir to combine. Saute the garlic for about 1 minute.1 small onion, 2 tbsp garlic, ⅓ cup chipotle in adobo, 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the spices and cook for about thirty seconds until their aromas have been released.1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp oregano
- Add all the ingredients, except the salt, to the pan. Simmer the barbecue sauce for about 10 minutes over low heat.1 14.5 ounce crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, ¼ cup ketchup, ¼ cup molasses, ⅛ cup dijon, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, ¾ cup water
- Puree the sauce carefully until pretty smooth, either in a blender or using a hand blender in the saucepan. Taste the sauce, then season as necessary with kosher salt. If you aren't using the sauce immediately, allow it to cool before storing it in the refrigerator. The sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.kosher salt
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.