Italian Beef with Giardiniera
This Italian Beef Recipe has been handed down through generations. It serves a crowd and is great for entertaining, as the roast is cooked the day before.
Here I layered on provolone cheese and hot Giardiniera and then broiled it until it reached its melty goodness. It’s also wonderful served on soft rolls. Don’t forget to spoon some of that juice onto the bun – that’s the secret to the delicious Italian Beef Sandwiches.
These sandwiches are made from homemade Italian Bread. The bread is hearty enough to stand up to the liquid, as well as a load of meat, cheese, and veggies. Yet it’s soft enough that you can bite through it easily. Win-Win.
Italian Beef with Giardiniera
- 6 lb sirloin beef roast
- 3 onions large quartered
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 Italian Bread Loaves
- 14 slices Provolone Cheese
- Giardiniera Hot or Mild to Taste
- Preheat oven to 325 °F
- Place the roast and onions in a large roasting pan and fill half way with water.6 lb sirloin beef roast, 3 onions, water
- Roast for two hours or until the thermometer reads 130 °F in the center of the roast. Begin checking at 90 minutes to ensure it does not overcook because you will be reheating it a 2nd time
- Let cool and refrigerate in the broth overnight to marinate.
- Remove from the refrigerator and thinly slice the roast.
- Heat reserved broth and add seasonings. Bring the broth to a boil and reduce to low heat. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Add sliced beef to heat and serve.3 tsp garlic powder, 3 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp basil, 3 tsp Italian seasoning, salt, pepper
- Slice the bread into individual serving sizes - approximately 4 inches long. Slice each piece in half horizontally to form a sandwich bun.4 Italian Bread Loaves
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of beef gravy onto the top and bottom of the bun. Layer on the Italian Beef, Giardiniera, and Cheese.14 slices Provolone Cheese, Giardiniera
- Place on a foiled line baking sheet. Repeat with remaining sandwiches
- Broil on medium heat until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.