Italian Meatball Sub Sandwich
This Italian meatball sub sandwich delivers comfort and flavor in each delicious bite. The combination of savory meatballs, creamy marinara sauce, and melted provolone cheese tucked in a homemade hoagie roll is more than a classic. It’s heartwarming.
Homemade Meatballs are one of our favorite staple foods. They’re so easy to pull together. I make a large batch and freeze them in vacuum-sealed bags. Then when we have busy days, we can have a delicious homecooked meal that is quick to make.
I’m a big fan of crusty rolls. Yet when it comes to meatball subs, I prefer a softer hoagie roll that wraps itself around the goodness of the meatballs, marinara sauce, and cheese. This is my favorite hoagie roll recipe. And just like the meatballs, these freeze beautifully.
Italian Meatball Sub Sandwich
- 12 meatballs large
- 4 hoagie buns
- 10 ounces provolone shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp parsley dried
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- salt to taste
- pepper freshly ground, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan to medium. Add olive oil and garlic. Stir until fragrant. Add tomatoes and seasonings. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Bring sauce to boiling and then turn to medium-low. Continue to cook for 10 minutes to infuse the flavors.2 tbsp olive oil, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp crushed red pepper, 1 tsp parsley, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes, 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper
- Warm meatballs in the sauce or the microwave.12 meatballs
- Place three meatballs on each of the hoagie rolls.4 hoagie buns
- Ladle the sauce over the meatballs. Top with the cheese.10 ounces provolone
- Place in oven for 5 minutes. Turn oven to broil. Broil for an additional 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve warm.
De Froid Tip: Restaurant ware
Sometimes finger food is more fun when it’s nestled inside a container. I picked up these fry cups for three dollars each. They make meals fun! You can use them with homemade sides. Yet you can also jazz up frozen fries, onion rings, and tater tots! As a bonus, the cup helps keep them toasty warm.
Appetizers work beautifully too. Fill it with deep-fried cheese curds, and watch them disappear!
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.