How To: Mashed Potato Cones
These mashed potato cones bring a significant surprise element to your party. The neon colors add visual excitement, and the cones standing vertically add drama to the presentation. These are sure to create a WOW moment for your guests.
I used the Perfect Mashed Potato recipe as the base for the yellow buttery mashed potatoes and the blue horseradish mashed potatoes. The orange sweet potato cones were born from the mashed sweet potato recipe.
De Froid Tip: Serving Vessels
When it comes to planning a party, I want to give my guests an experience that they won’t soon forget. What can I produce that will create an emotion that freezes that moment in time? These cones knocked it out of the park with neon swirls and colored salts.
Yet if I had put them in an acrylic cone holder, the presentation would have felt different. By placing the cones in a glass votive holder, the salts became supporting actors in the show.
Serving these on two black floating shelves wedges together also upped the drama. Look at those neon colors against the black backdrop. The shelves also created greater height than a standard tray or platter would have, giving them even more visibility.
Next time you serve an appetizer, walk around your house. Find an incredible piece that would be an unusual yet striking vessel for your food. Use your imagination, harness your creativity, and, most importantly, have fun. The guests aren’t the only ones who are meant to enjoy the party. ; )
Neon Mashed Potato Cone Presentation
Mashed Potato Cones
- 1 recipe Horseradish mashed potatoes with neon blue food coloring
- 1 recipe Buttery mashed potatoes with neon yellow food coloring
- 1 recipe Mashed Sweet potatoes with neon orange food coloring
- 16 savory smooth cones
- sous vide pot
- 3 disposable 16" piping bags
- 3 Ateco Tip #869
- 16 votive glass holders
- 1 cup course salt with neon red food coloring
- 1 cup course salt with neon orange food coloring
- 1 cup course salt with neon green food coloring
- 3 quart-sized plastic bags
- 1 small funnel
- 1 pair scissors
- 2 black floating shelves or serving platter of your choice
- Make the colored salt by placing 1 cup in a sealable bag. Add four drops of food coloring. Seal the bag and rub the coloring into the salt with your hands until incorporated and even in color. Be patient ; ) as this takes 4-5 minutes, and you don't want to break the bag.1 cup course salt, 1 cup course salt, 1 cup course salt, 3 quart-sized plastic bags
- If needed, add color a drop at a time until it's the color you desire. Continue with the additional 2 bags of salt.
- Place glass holders onto a serving platter. I used two floating shelves placed together in the photo.16 votive glass holders, 2 black floating shelves
- place the funnel in one of the votive holders. Cut the bottom corner off one of the bags of salt. Slowly let the salt flow into the small funnel and into the glass. Alternate the colors for a striking presentation.1 small funnel, 1 pair scissors
Neon Mashed Potatoes
- Make the horseradish mashed potatoes and place them in a sealable bag. Add four drops of food coloring. Seal the bag and rub the coloring into the potatoes with your hands until incorporated and even in color.1 recipe Horseradish mashed potatoes
- If needed, add additional color a drop at a time until it's the color you desire. Continue with the other two flavors of mashed potatoes.1 recipe Buttery mashed potatoes, 1 recipe Mashed Sweet potatoes
- Place the sealed bags in the water in a sous vide pot set to 135 °F. These can be kept warm for up to four hours.sous vide pot
- Pour the mashed potatoes into the three piping bags fit with the tips3 disposable 16" piping bags, 3 Ateco Tip #869
- Place 5 cones in the votive holders filled with orange colored salt. Pipe the blue horseradish mashed potatoes into these cones.16 savory smooth cones
- Place 5 more cones into the votive holders filled with red-colored salt. Pipe the yellow buttery mashed potatoes into these cones.
- Place the final 6 cones into the votive holders filled with green-colored salt. Pipe the orange sweet mashed potatoes into these cones.
- Serve immediately
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.