These little pancetta ranchers pack a big punch from the layering of ingredients. The cup is made from salty thin pancetta ranchers and filled with creamy eggs, sour cream, and sharp cheddar.
From there, we add a little kick from cayenne and finish with the sweetness of a ripe cherry tomato and smokiness from a sprinkling of smoked paprika. Then we finish it with a shake of champagne vinegar to add a welcoming tang.
These are the perfect go-to when your cherry tomatoes are in full bloom. Pluck a couple and set them in these little ranchers. The first time I tried them in egg cups, I was shocked at how their sweetness is highlighted. It is now one of my favorite ways to cook with them.
This is one of many recipes to pair egg cups with cherry tomatoes. You can remove the pancetta ranchers and turn this into an egg cup filled with vegetables, such as onions, peppers, and asparagus. Use your favorite ingredients and experiment with the flavor profiles you and your humans prefer.
- 1 tbsp butter greasing pan
- 12 pancetta ranchers - thin
- 3 eggs large
- 50 grams sour cream organic
- 40 grams sharp cheddar cheese finely grated
- 3 tbsp chopped chives freshly cut
- 12 cherry tomatoes extra small
- ⅛ tsp cayenne or to taste
- smoked paprika one shake per rancher
- champagne vinegar 1 splash per cup - optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Grease the mini-muffin tin with the butter.1 tbsp butter
- Slice each pancetta rancher in half and lay both slices in each cup to form a cup that covers the bottom and the sides. Slicing them in half eases the process.12 pancetta
- In a two or four-cup measuring cup, whisk the eggs. Add the sour cream, chives, and cayenne. Whisk until incorporated.50 grams sour cream, 3 tbsp chopped chives, ⅛ tsp cayenne
- Fill the cups with half of the cheddar cheese, distributing them equally among the cups. Pour the egg mixture into each cup. Doing this in two rounds allows the egg mixture to settle and ensures you equally distribute the liquid. Top the egg mixture with the remaining shredded cheddar. Sprinkle each cup with smoked paprika.12 cherry tomatoes, smoked paprika, 40 grams sharp cheddar cheese
- Bake for 15 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for two to three minutes. Remove the ranchers from each cup with a rubber spatula and place them on a serving plate. If desired, top each rancher with a splash of champagne vinegar.champagne vinegar
De Froid Tip: Garnish
Garnishes are a creative way to provide color, texture, and taste contrast to your dish. In addition, it gives the presentation a finished look. Because of this, it’s helpful to train your brain to think about what you’d like on hand when you go to the market.
Herbs pair beautifully with certain foods. Mint is a go-to for desserts. Dill is used for many salads, including potatoes. Garnishes can be that perfectly crisp crouton atop a cup of soup or a slice of dill pickle next to your burger.
Have fun tapping into your creativity and imagination. Look at your finished dish. What color would compliment it? What texture would add interest?
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.