Perfect Mashed Potatoes
This recipe makes perfect fluffy mashed potatoes every time. It is also the ideal base for flavored mashed potatoes like roasted garlic and horseradish. I have a folder filled with what I call staple recipes. This is one of them. It’s a keeper.
My favorite mashed potatoes are flavored with horseradish. I added some food coloring and served them in cones for a summer party. The mashed potato cones were a big hit!
This recipe is also a solid foundation for twice-baked potatoes. Add 1 TB sour cream, and you can scoop this right back into the potato shell. Add shredded cheddar and bacon pieces on the top and pop it back into a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle chopped chives on the top and serve.
Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- 3 large russet potatoes peeled and cut into 4 equal sections each
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup butter
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in a large pot filled with salted water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.3 large russet potatoes
- Drain potatoes and place them back into the pot. Turn heat to high and allow potatoes to dry for about 30 seconds.
- Place the butter in a medium-sized bowl. Put a few of the potato pieces into a potato ricer and squeeze. Continue with the potatoes until all of them have been riced. Add the milk and mix gently with a wooden spoon until creamy. Blend in salt and black pepper until distributed.½ cup whole milk, ¼ cup butter, salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Serve immediately.
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.