Roast Beef Onion Jam Panini
This panini is packed full of flavor for a hearty appetite. It’s topped with an onion jam that has both sweet and savory notes.
The provolone sets the tone with it’s nutty creaminess, and then you get texture and flavor bursts from the jam. I love the additional spice and vinegar notes you get by sprinkling on a few picked jalapenos.
Paninis are yet another food where you can use your imagination to create sandwiches that use your favorite ingredients. It’s also a great way to use leftovers or items in the refrigerator nearing their expiration date.
They’re easy to pull together for dinner after a long day on the lake or for a rainy day lunch.
Roast Beef Onion Jam Panini
- 3 sweet onions large, diced (2#)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 ⅓ pounds roast beef high quality, thinly sliced
- 8 slices ciabatta or focaccia bread
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup onion jam from above
- pickled jalapenos, black or green olives to taste
- Saute the onions in olive oil over medium heat until golden, ensuring they do not burn. 12 -15 minutes.3 sweet onions, ¼ cup olive oil
- Add the salt, sugar, balsamic vinegar, and thyme. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the jam has thickened. Taste and adjust salt, pepper and sugar. Turn burner off and set aside.½ cup balsamic vinegar, ¼ cup sugar, ½ tsp dried thyme, Kosher salt
- Preheat the panini press to 400 °F
- on each of 4 slices of bread, place two slices of the provolone cheese. Top the cheese with ⅓ pound of the roast beef on each sandwich. Cover the beef with equal portions of the onion jam. Add jalapenos and olives to taste.1 ⅓ pounds roast beef, 8 slices ciabatta or focaccia bread, 8 slices provolone cheese
- Grill the panini for 4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately.1/4 cup onion jam, pickled jalapenos, black or green olives
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.