Rustic quiche in individual ramekins makes for a beautiful presentation and carries a flavor profile that will wow your guests!
It starts with a flaky butter crust and is layered with smoky flavor from the paprika and chipotles in adobe sauce, saltiness from the pancetta and prosciutto, and creaminess from the gruyere. This makes an outstanding quiche.
This recipe was built out of a desire to love quiche. Before this, I liked quiche, but I didn’t love it. If I’m going to use my calories, it better be on something that makes my taste buds explode, haha!
The day this was created, I had leftovers from a pizza party I needed to use up and went into this as an experiment. This one worked out perfectly. It is now one of my all-time favorite foods. I love this quiche.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp chipotle chili chopped
- 4 tbsp pancetta finely diced
- 5 tbsp prosciutto diced
- 2 oz gruyere grated
- 4 eggs large
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp adobe sauce from chipotle chilis
Blind Bake Crust
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F
- Roll out your pie crust in a rectangle X. Cut into 5 strips " wide. Place each strip around the inside of the ramekin sealing the two ends together to form a cylinder. The dough should be roughly 1/4" above the top of the ramekin. With your fingers, crimp the edges to form a rustic decorating edge.1 all-butter pie crust
- Add parchment around the crust and pie weights or dry beans to keep its form while baking. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until the crust is lightly brown and set. Remove from the oven. Let sit 5 minutes. Remove parchment and weights.
- In a medium-sized saute pan, heat the olive oil to shimmering. Add the red onioin and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the pancetta and prosciutto. Remove and place in a small bowl.1 tbsp olive oil, 1 small red onion, 2 tbsp chipotle chili
- Wipe the pan and add the pancetta. Cook until lightly brown. Add the pancetta and cook 20 more seconds. Add the meat to the bowl with the onion along with the chipotle.4 tbsp pancetta, 5 tbsp prosciutto
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, whisk the eggs, adobe sauce and whipping cream.4 eggs, 1 cup whipping cream, 2 tsp adobe sauce
- Divide the meat mixture evenly into each of the five dough-lined ramekins.
- Pour in the egg/cream mixture, whisking as you go into each of the ramekins leaving ¼ inch. With a fork, gently mix the meat mixture into the cream mixture. Top with the gruyere cheese and two shakes of smoked paprika.2 oz gruyere
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the center is golden and slightly firm.
- Remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
De Froid Tip: Individual-sized Portions
We’re crazy about individual-sized appetizers, meals, and desserts in this house. These appetizer-sized mini gyros are a perfect example. They were created from a delicious full-sized gyro recipe.
When you get into the practice of making full-sized meals into an appetizer or individual-sized dishes, you find there are few limits to the fantastic presentations you can create. In addition, you will find yourself using tools like piping bags and kitchen tweezers more often, which is quite fun.
The next time you want to take your food plating and presentations to the next level, find a full-sized recipe, dig into your creativity and make it into minis!
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.