Smash Burgers with Bacon Steak
Smash burgers are famous for a good reason. The art of smashing the burger with a heavy spatula forces every bit of meat to have contact with the hot surface. So what is better than that? A smash burger with smoky bacon steak. The ultimate in smash burgers.
So what is bacon steak? It’s bacon that is thick-cut and smoked to perfection. Not all bacon steaks are equal. I am in love with Burgers Smokehouse Bacon and their Bacon Steak is no exception. If you love burgers and you love bacon, do yourself a favor and make this.
FYI – I’m able to purchase the bacon steak at my local supermarket. Yet I do buy their smoked bacon online by the case to save some $’s.
Homemade buns taste delicious and are made with real ingredients. Brioche hamburger buns are my go-to buns for burgers of all kinds. They are pillowy and soft and remain so for days. You can add sesame seeds or poppy seeds if you like them! Beware: the aroma of the fresh baked buns can make them disappear before you get the burgers made. : )
Smash Burgers with Bacon Steak
- 1 lb ground beef 80/20
- 4 slices bacon steak smoked and thick cut
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 hamburger buns
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a cooking steel on the grill. Preheat grill to high for 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Place bacon in a heavy-rimmed pan. Cook for 20 minutes, flipping once during cooking. Bacon is done when crisp but not burnt. Set aside.
- Using a digital kitchen scale, separate the meat into four 2-ounce balls and place on a plate.1 lb ground beef
- Using grill gloves, place one ball on the steel while immediately pressing down evenly to create a flat patty in full contact with the steel. Continue with the following 3 meat balls. Salt and pepper to taste.salt and pepper
- After 3 minutes, turn each patty over and press again to ensure the entire patty is in contact with the steel. The top should be crispy and dark brown.
- After 2 minutes, add one slice of cheese to a patty, and top the cheese it with a second patty. Repeat for the remaining two patties.2 slices American cheese
- Immediately remove and place on a plate for 2 minutes. Serve on buns with two pieces of browned bacon and the condiments of your choice.2 hamburger buns, 4 slices bacon steak
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.