Smoked Chicken Strudel Canapes
Smoked Chicken Strudel canapés are a delicacy that delivers pure comfort food. For this post, I made them appetizer size by scoring them before baking and then slicing them in half to serve. Yet leave them whole serving two per person, and you’ll have a fine dining main dish experience that will leave a lasting impression.
Mushrooms, peppers, and creamy Boursin cheese are perfect sidekicks to smoked chicken in these savory strudel rolls featuring a light and flaky Filo crust. The cream sauce gets a fresh, bright kick from the white wine and is the perfect mop sauce for the strudel.
Organic Smoked Chicken
Curing chicken with smoldering, aromatic wood has been around since humans lived in caves and prepared food on wood fires. The smoke from the burning wood gives the chicken a sweet, delicately smoky flavor and a pure, tender texture. This one pasture-raised smoked chicken from Seven Seeds Farms has produced four meals for us!
The Smoked Chicken Salad is quick and easy to make, yet the flavor profile puts this salad in a league of its own. Next up are smoked chicken stuffed poblanos. I’m so excited about this and am waiting for those garden peppers to get bigger. ; )
With the ongoing desire to avoid processed foods and choose healthy, tasty, high-quality options, small local farms are delivering a new era of possibilities for home chefs. My kitchen has a new dynamic with the ease of high-quality organic options I can purchase locally. Yet the relationships and trust that I have developed with these providers are my greatest gift.
Smoked Chicken Strudel Canapes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup shallots minced
- 1 cup mushrooms Crimini or shitake, chopped with stems removed
- 1 cup smoked chicken meat finely chopped (can substitute roasted chicken)
- 3 tbsp red bell peppers minced
- 3 tbsp Anaheim chili peppers minced
- ½ pkg basil and chive Boursin cheese
- ⅛ cup Italian parsley chopped fresh
- ⅛ cup chives fresh, minced
- ½ tsp tobasco optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 sheets Athens Filo Dough 9 x 14 , thawed
- ¼ cup butter melted
- In saute pan, heat oil and saute onions until translucent. Add mushrooms and saute until soft. Cool completely. Mix with remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.2 tbsp olive oil, ½ cup shallots, 1 cup mushrooms, 1 cup smoked chicken meat, 3 tbsp red bell peppers, 3 tbsp Anaheim chili peppers, ½ pkg basil and chive Boursin cheese, ⅛ cup Italian parsley, ⅛ cup chives, ½ tsp tobasco, Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F
Filo Strudel Rolls
- Prepare the work surface with parchment paper. Layer 4 filo sheets (long width horizontally) brushing each with softened butter before placing the next sheet on top. Cut vertically into 4 equal strips.8 sheets Athens Filo Dough, ¼ cup butter
- Form the cooled filling into a log one inch thick. Place on strip leaving ½ inch space on each side. Lift the dough around the filling and roll. Score the center of the roll with a serrated knife. Repeat with the remaining three strips.
- Make a second set of rolls using the remaining dough and filling for a total of 8 rolls.
- Brush the outside with butter and place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with White Wine Cream Sauce
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.