Spaghetti and Meatball Cups with Whipping Siphon Parmesan Espuma
These Spaghetti and Meatball Cups with Whipping Siphon Parmesan Espuma take this comfort food appetizer to a new level.
The al dente spaghetti cups have a firm yet soft mouth feel. The cups are filled with marinara-soaked homemade meatballs and then topped with a salty yet airy parmesan-laced whipped cream. Garnished with Italian flat-leaf parsley, these appetizers add sophistication to traditional comfort food.
Spaghetti and Meatball Cups
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Cook spaghetti until al dente, 8 k- 10 minutes. The noodles will continue to cook in the oven. Drain the spaghetti and run it under cool water.350 g spaghetti
- In a large bowl, toss the spaghetti with 2 beaten eggs and the cheese.3 large eggs, 150 g shredded mozzarella, 75 g grated Parmesan
- Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Nest the spaghetti inside each well. Using the bottom of a shot glass, firmly press down to help form the nest. If needed, use kitchen tweezers to help form up the sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until set. Let cool and press down again with the shot glass to keep the nest shape.
- Heat the meatballs in the marinara sauce in a small saucepan, coating all sides.675 g marinara, 12 meatballs
- Place one spaghetti cup on a small appetizer plate. Set the marinara-coated meatball inside the cup. Top with Whipped Parmesan Espuma. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.300 g parmesan espuma
De Froid Tip: Add Texture with Foams and Airs
Take your flavor and texture profiles to a new level with foams and airs! When the molecular gastronomy trend became popular, you could find these at high-end restaurants. You will still see these techniques used by top chefs today.
These textures can show up in the most surprising places. I topped a grilled ribeye sandwich in the photo below with horseradish whipped foam. The soft pillow-like texture was a proud match with the smoky, crisped ribeye just off the grill.
The great news is that the products now come in small quantities, and affordable equipment can be found for home chefs. Because of this, we can make these foams and airs for meals and parties right at home!
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.