Tempura Shrimp - Whipping Siphon
These whipping siphon tempura shrimp are undeniably crispier and lighter than traditional tempura. Take your tempura to a new level by using a whipping siphon to make your batter. It’s easy and creates perfect results every time!
This recipe is for Shrimp, yet you can use the batter to make any type of tempura using your favorite seafood and vegetables.
Sauces for tempura are limitless. For this shrimp recipe, I used a hot and sour sauce. Yet the simplest of sauces such as Soy and Teriyaki work beautifully as well. I am a huge fan of hot oriental mustard and that is another dip that will add another dimension to your tempura.
Have fun and take your batter to the next level by making this whipping siphon tempura!
Tempura Batter - Whipping Siphon
- 1 cup water cold or ice water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt fine
- Whisk together the flour and the salt. Pour water into a medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the water and whisk it to form a batter. It is normal to have lumps.1 cup water, 1 cup all-purpose flour, ¼ tsp sea salt
- Strain the batter through a fine mesh sieve and funnel it into the whipping siphon, ensuring it does not exceed the maximum fill line.
- Screw on one soda charger. Shake the siphon vigorously a dozen times.
- At this point, it is ready to use, or your can refrigerate it for up to one day.
- Your batter should look in appearance like fizzy soft whipped cream. Dip lightly floured pieces of seafood or vegetables into the batter and fry at 360 °F for 2 minutes or until the food is cooked through and the batter is crispy and golden brown.
De Froid Tip: Play with your Arrangments
With the size of the black skewer holders and the shrimp itself, I could skewer 9 of them to fit comfortably. Yet if you compare the two photos (above and below), you will get a different feel from each of the slightly different presentations.
In the photo above, I arranged the two black holders to fit inside each other’s curves and form a square. I set them side by side in the lower image for a long line of shrimp tempuras.
There is no right way, yet when you begin to experiment, you will find little tweaks can make a dramatic difference in your presentation and your guests’ experience.
Welcome to Foodie de Froid!
If you love real food, take pleasure in eating, and strive for mouth-watering flavor, you have come to the right place. Here the star of the show IS the food, presenting it in a way that makes it shine.
We feature many appetizers and individual-sized recipes as a purposeful way to experience and share food.
Our mouth reacts to flavors in a transitional way. That first taste creates an exciting experience with the food’s intense flavors, textures, and visual appeal. Yet after the first few bites, our mouths and minds adjust, and that experience deadens.
Thus, the tasting experience! We served 14 consecutive courses at my last tasting party. Each was purposely selected to bring new flavors, textures, and presentations, creating surprises and wow moments throughout the night.
The recipes are documented with ingredients we love. Yet my greatest hope is to have you understand why the recipes work and eventually make them into your personal version using your favorite ingredients and presentations.